Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Process of This Week

Now, I have started making the PowerPoint. At the same time, I am also writing the research report that requires by Professor Chang. Then I read several Chinese ancient articles about mermaids. Furthermore, I read Western articles about mermaids too. When I was doing the resource search, some pieces that I find are news reports, the authenticity of those reports remains to be verified. Secondly, I also used One Search in our school library system to find the information and try sorted those resources out. In the mermaid materials of Western literature, progress is relatively fast. In Chinese mermaid literature, I was getting stuck on it. Because the way of writing of ancient Chinese books is different from the current writing methods, they are stuck on the issue of translation to a certain extent. One of the old articles was written in the early Qin period, and it is difficult to translate its meaning. But after I finished talking with Professor Chang this morning, and I have already found my way. Moreover, after I finish watch Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo, I explore that Mermaid is one kind of remarkable Legend, myth, and symbol for Japan. This week, I will concern about the comparison between western and eastern literature about Mermaid.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Han Yan: it's great to hear about the progress you are making! I wonder: do you have a tentative thesis, or hypothesis, about the role that mermaid's play in he cultural imagination of China, or Japan, or the Euro-American world? Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.