Sunday, March 29, 2020

29 March 2020 Entry

In the past week, I've written an explication on the first few chapters of Martha Nussbaum's book The Monarchy of Fear, which discusses how fear disrupts agency in contemporary politics. It also draws on Greek philosophers like Lucretius and Aristotle. This week I will read the chapter that is focused on hope and compile the most important aspects to add to my philosophical framework. 

I'm also considering analyzing the fear and hope relationship in the Hegelian dialectic as well as applying black existentialist philosopher Frantz Fanon's ideas on the topic. I've recently read Black Skin, White Masks, and I'm hoping his concepts will tie in well with what I want to examine. My program mentor Alexandria has also provided me with a lot of black existentialist literature and some useful research tips and motivation.

I've been looking into some statistic data on what people in America fear the most, how they voted, and also how the conservative mind is more prone to fear than others.

Working with Professor Steinberg has allowed me to have some sense of how academics analyze contemporary political issues mainly through the philosophy of Spinoza. I've also had the opportunity to examine his essays and book excerpts, made suggestions to add or omit things.  

I started reading The Plague by Albert Camus written in 1947, and many of the same issues that he explores in the book hold true today; the reluctance of government officials to take seriously warning signs, citizens not adhering to social restrictions. It's a very, easy, relatable, and I must say eerily prophetic book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.